Ben and I recently planned a little trip to the country. We wanted to relax; spend time hiking and walking in nature; cook meals together; and just enjoy some time away from the city. We stayed in a beautifully renovated barn on a Belgian farm and it couldn’t have been a more lovely holiday.
We filmed a lot and I edited this video, but it fit much better on my very neglected second channel, A Slower Life, than on my main channel (I’ve included the hyperlink in case you want to follow it, but don’t expect any kind of regular content). I hope you enjoy coming along on our little “hygge” holiday.
I love cooking with Ben, so a trip to relax out in the country for me definitely involves making some delicious meals. We picked up groceries at a bio-market on the way and ended up making:
- Mushroom and leek risotto (Minimalist Baker’s recipe) with garlic bread
- Pancakes with berries and pineapple (we had pancakes for breakfast on a couple of days, but also brought some muesli)
- Baked sweet potatoes, hummus, and kale chips – one of my favourite simple meals
- Sun-dried tomato, mushroom, and spinach tofu quiche (adapted from Oh She Glow’s recipe)
- “Cheesy” pasta with kale and tomatoes (a cashew, garlic “cheese” sauce + veggies – Minimalist Baker has a bunch of different vegan Mac n’ Cheese recipes)
We found the farmhouse on Airbnb. We use Airbnb for most of our trips and find it much nicer (and often more affordable!) than staying in hotels. If you’ve never traveled with Airbnb I recommend it, and you can get €30 off your first trip if you book with this link!*
The house was not only gorgeously designed and decorated but it’s in a great location within driving distance to lovely little towns and lots of parks with walking trails.
This was a perfect vacation for us and just what we needed to relax and recharge.
What’s your ideal holiday?
*Indicates an Airbnb referral link, you get €30 and I get a €15 credit.