Recently I’ve been very interested in the idea of a capsule wardrobe; essentially a simplified and versatile wardrobe with minimal pieces. I’ve been working on simplifying my life and belongings and it’s also perfect timing for something like this since we’ll be moving 3 times this summer & fall.
I came across this awesome website, Project 333, which has great info and decided to try the project 333 challenge which means you try to live with only 33 clothing and accessory items for 3 months. These 33 items include clothing, shoes, purses, jewelry (which I didn’t include in mine, but will try next time), outerwear, and any accessories. You don’t include things like underwear, socks, sleepwear, or work-out clothes. Seems simple?
Creating my project 333 wardrobe was an interesting challenge, these were the main things I considered when building my wardrobe:
- Lifestyle/everyday wear – since I don’t work in an office or require business attire I usually dress fairly casually
- Versatile garments – can they be dressed up or down? Can they be worn different ways?
- The weather – summers in BC can get pretty hot but can also be rainy and chilly
- Colours – I like grey as a neutral and then adding colours that work together (a lot of the project 333 wardrobes I’ve seen online tend to rely heavily on black, but some color is always nice in the summer)
I think it’s easiest to start by pulling out the clothes you wear most often (hopefully your favorites) and then building from there. This is also a good time to remove any clothes that you no longer wear.
My summer capsule wardrobe consists of:
- 1 pair of jeans – dark wash skinny jeans
- 3 pairs of shorts – plaid denim, grey high-waist chambray, & mustard velvet
- 2 skirts – red chiffon maxi, & pleated blue shorter skirt
- 1 blazer – rust colored boxy fit
- 1 casual jacket – white over-sized
- 1 cardigan – loose-fit cotton
- 1 flannel button-up – plaid red/navy
- 1 blouse – cream loose-fit
- 2 dresses – one casual linen & one fancier strapless
- 1 crop top – matches blue skirt (the skirt and top actually used to be a dress)
- 4 t-shirts – drapey olive green, loose grey, v-neck grey, & fitted black
- 3 tank tops – fitted turquiose, looser navy, and trapeze silk
- 1 belt – brown
- 1 hat – cotton
- 1 scarf – multi-coloured stripes
- 4 shoes – boots, nude heels, sandals, & flats
- 3 bags – 1 large black, 1 medium white clutch, 1 small yellow
= 31 total!
So I actually ended up 2 short. Now I decided not to include jewelry because I usually only wear just a necklace (which I guess could count as another of the 33 items) but when I do wear jewelry I like to stack a lot of bracelets or wear multiple rings so I easily could have used half of the 33 items just on jewelry. Since this is my first time I’m going to try without including jewelry and depending how it goes, I might try including it next time. Also since I didn’t hit 33, I’m leaving the last items open (I honestly had a lot of trouble selecting other things I might want) and will fill them in if I feel like there’s something else I really need.
**I filmed an update video about how my first project 333 capsule wardrobe worked out.