Heading into a new year I always think it’s great to have a mix of goals/resolutions including personal, career, relationship, and also things you can do to reduce your impact. So here are some ideas of things you might want to try this new year. Also check out last year’s post for more ideas!
Eco Resolution Ideas
- Switch to cloth napkins
- Start a compost or find somewhere you can compost
- Ditch the dryer sheets and fabric softener
- Make a habit of bringing reusable containers when you eat out for any leftovers
- Stop your junk mail delivery
- Plant pollinator friendly flowers in your garden on your balcony
- Grow your own veggies and herbs
- Ask for no receipt when shopping
- Save paper by borrowing books from the library, getting them used, or listening to audio books
- Turn off computers and other electronics when not in use
- Support local farmers and makers by shopping from local markets
- Shop your closet before buying new clothes
- Save plastic bottles by making your own salad dressings
- Used waxed cloth wraps instead of plastic wrap
- Get your bills sent electronically
- Keep some reusable cutlery in your bag to avoid the plastic ones
- Learn to mend your clothes or how about learning to sew your own clothes?
- Get digital copies of newspapers and magazines you read
- Shop less “just for fun” and replace shopping with other activities
- Borrow and lend tools or other equipment that isn’t used often with friends and neighbours – there are even community groups on Facebook for doing this!
- Keep lights off during the day and use the natural sunlight
- Learn to can, pickle, or freeze foods
- Turn down your hot water tank a little bit
- Install a low-flow shower head
- Get some indoor plants which are good at air purification.
- Save water by watering your plants with the water used to boil veggies or pasta (when it’s cool!)
- Try to repair or get secondhand electronics first
- Shop with a list to help prevent impulse purchases
- Wear sweaters and use blankets in the winter and turn your heat down a bit
- Share some of the sustainable things you’re doing to help and inspire others!
I’d love to hear what your conscious resolutions are for the new year!
My lovely friend Kaméa Chayne from the Green Dreamer Podcast made these beautiful planners where you can not only keep track of your days but it also promotes self-care and conscious living, plus has space and prompts for goal setting and reflection. The planners are so beautiful, I already love using mine AND each planner sold plants 50 trees!
What are your 2019 resolutions?